Please join ACE in welcoming S. Wayne Roberts, Retired Chief Test Pilot for Lockheed Martin Aero – Marietta, GA
Lockheed Martin Test Pilot – Over 29 years / Corporation Technical Fellow
*Designated Engineering Representative (DER) Test Pilot for the Federal Aviation Administration
*US Naval Test Pilot: 12 years active – 11 years reserve; retired Captain
*Administration US Naval Test Pilot: 12 years active – 11 years reserve; retired Captain
*Development of the C-130J Hercules, Re-engining of the C-5 Galaxy, and upgrades to the P-3 Orion
*BS Mechanical Engineering – Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1977
*Retired from Lockheed Martin – September 1, 2018 (29 years)
Flight Test Experience:
• US Naval Test Pilot School – Class 87, 1984
• Naval Air Test Center Multi-engine Test Pilot – P-3 weapons clearances, Ground Proximity Warning System development, Engine Performance Monitoring Program development
• Staff Instructor Pilot at US Naval Test Pilot School – Lead instructor for testing transports and asymmetric power
• Joined Lockheed Martin in 1989 as the P-7 Project Test Pilot in Palmdale, Ca; development of a heavily modified P-3 design with fly by wire flight controls and a new FADEC Turboprop. Completed the US Navy test program to convert the carrier based S-3A to the ES-3A. Project pilot on P3 weapons systems improvement programs.
• At the LM Marietta GA plant in 1991, completed the Canadian CP-140 Arcturus and the new cockpit and new autopilot for US Customs Service P-3’s. Citation II Captain for Lockheed Martin executive transport.
• Chief Test Pilot for the C-130J development program. Responsible for the handling qualities and performance testing. Played key role in numerous design innovations leading to the successful incorporation of over 25% thrust increase with the original airframe shape and proven flight control system. Combined role as project test pilot and lead engineer on the C-130J FAA certified Automatic Thrust Control System.
• In 2000 assigned as the Chief Test Pilot for Lockheed Martin Airlift Programs. Lead 9 flight test pilots supporting all P-3, C-130J, and C-5 test programs.
• Conducted elevated risk test points on the C-5M Galaxy re-engine program including end points for structural tests, VMCg and VMCa, and high AOA/high power stalls.
• Lead the development of the C-130J Block 7 Flight Management System integration and testing
• Leading the Type Design Update for the Commercial Version of the C-130J, LM-100J
• Presented/Published Technical Flight Test Papers for SETP, ITEA, and Aero India
Air Show Display Experience:
• Developed the Lockheed Martin C-130J air show display
• Conducted all company C-130J air show displays since 1998; includes three Paris, three Farnborough, and weekend military air shows in the UK and US; over 100 display routines
• Holds the only FAA Acrobatic Competency Card for the C-130 aircraft
2019 ACE Field Trip
Museum of Aviation Robins AFB
Harriet Tubman Museum Macon, GA
March 2, 2019
7:00am – 5:30pm
- Total Cost: $50 (Includes admission, lunch, snack, and round trip transportation)
- Attire: ACE Formal:
- Navy single-breasted jacket, White dress shirt, khaki pants, black comfy shoes (no sneakers), ACE Tie ($15) ACE pocket insert ($20)
- $25 Non-Refundable Deposit due Feb. 9th
- Remaining Balance Due Feb. 23rd
- Departure from ACE 7:00 am sharp